Kingdom Con defendants want trial moved; point to news coverage
Defendants in a multimillion-dollar fraud case in Northern Vermont want a federal judge to change where their trial will be held. They claim news coverage of the EB-5 scandal has tainted the jury pool.
Our Calvin Cutler was in federal court Friday and has details.
The legal team for Ariel Quiros, one of the men accused, says news coverage of the EB-5 scandal has been biased from when state prosecutors indicted the defendants last summer.
Quiros' lawyer, Seth Levine, said in court Friday that Vermont media outlets-- including WCAX, VT Digger, Seven Days and others-- have engaged in a "yearslong process to vilify" his client. He says the EB-5 coverage has been unfair and paints the defendants as guilty before they've even had a trial.
Levine also claims that state prosecutors are purposefully turning the trial into a show for political gain.
But the state contends the vast majority of reporting on the scandal has been factual and the jury pool hasn't been tainted. They also say out of some 1,300 articles about the EB-5 program, less than 5% refer to the indictments involving Jay Peak, Burke and Newport.
Additionally, the defense is calling on the judge to look into high-profile figures such as Sen. Patrick Leahy and former Gov. Peter Shumlin because they helped pitch the EB-5 investment program to foreign investors.
- Jay Peak - Q Burke Mountain Resort, Hotel and Conference Center L.P.
- Jay Peak - AnC Bio Vermont
- Ariel Quiros
- Bill Stenger
- Patrick Leahy
- Peter Shumlin
- United States of America vs Ariel Quiros & Bill Stenger
- Michael I. Goldberg vs Ariel Quiros
- MICHAEL I. GOLDBERG vs The AM Wealth Management Group of Raymond James & Ariel Quiros & Joel Burstein
- JAMES B. SHAW, JOHANNES EIJMBERTS, and LORNE MORRIS Individually and On Behalf of All Others Similarly Situated, vs The AM Wealth Management Group of Raymond James & Bill Stenger & Joel Burstein & Ariel Quiros
- ALEXANDRE DACCACHE, on behalf of himself and all others similarly situated vs Ariel Quiros & Bill Stenger & The AM Wealth Management Group of Raymond James & Joel Burstein
- State of Vermont vs Bill Stenger & Ariel Quiros
- UNITED STATES SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION vs Ariel Quiros & Bill Stenger
Subscribe for News
Join Professionals on EB5Projects.com →
This website is for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer or solicitation to sell shares or securities. Any such offer or solicitation will be made only by means of an investment's confidential Offering Memorandum and in accordance with the terms of all applicable securities and other laws. This website does not constitute or form part of, and should not be construed as, any offer for sale or subscription of, or any invitation to offer to buy or subscribe for, any securities, nor should it or any part of it form the basis of, or be relied on in any connection with, any contract or commitment whatsoever. EB5Projects.com LLC and its affiliates expressly disclaim any and all responsibility for any direct or consequential loss or damage of any kind whatsoever arising directly or indirectly from: (i) reliance on any information contained in the website, (ii) any error, omission or inaccuracy in any such information or (iii) any action resulting therefrom.